RECAP: Pacific FC 1-0 Atlético Ottawa — Shorthanded Tridents take down top of the table Ottawa on the road
Canadian Premier League

Pacific FC picked up three points in the capital on Sunday afternoon, beating Atlético Ottawa 1-0 to climb one spot in the Canadian Premier League table.

The home side controlled a lot of the ball in the early stages of the match, trying to break down a Pacific side that was comfortable sitting back and defending them. The Tridents’ first shot came in the 15th minute as Dario Zanatta missed the target, moments after both Matteo de Brienne and Aboubacar Sissoko had attempts blocked at the other end of the pitch.

It was de Brienne who took the first shot of the game as well, missing the target in the fourth minute.

Luke Singh forced the first save of the match from Emil Gazdov, heading the ball on target from a set piece. On the ensuing corner, Gabriel Antinoro had an attempt blocked by a defender. Antinoro tested Gazdov from distance with about ten minutes left in the half, volleying a shot from midfield, but the Pacific goalkeeper was able to make a fairly routine catch.

With the first half winding down, Zakaria Bahous opened the scoring with one of the final kicks before the interval. With none of the Ottawa defenders closing him down, Bahous unleashed a shot from the top of the penalty area that sailed into the bottom left corner of Rayane Yesli’s net to give the Tridents the advantage after 45 minutes.

Ottawa thought they tied things up in the 58th minute as a shot from halftime substitute Manny Aparicio found its way through a blockade on the Pacific goal line, but in fact Cédric Toussaint was able to slide in and clear the ball off the line at the last possible second.

Referee Mario Alayass rightly waved away the home protests as Ottawa got back to work to find an equalizer.

Ruben Del Campo tested Gazdov minutes later with a rocket of a shot just after the hour mark, a left-footed effort from outside the box that required an equally impressive save. Ollie Bassett took a shot of his own seconds later, but the reigning Golden Boot winner sent his shot high over the target.

After preventing the goal at the other end of the pitch ten minutes prior, Toussaint nearly doubled Pacific’s lead in the 68th minute, dribbling through a group of Ottawa defenders before taking a shot. His shot dipped and had Yesli beat, but it came back off the top of the crossbar.

Trying to pick out the top left corner, de Brienne fired a shot in the 81st minute, but he was off-balance and missed high and wide. Ottawa were denied by the crossbar themselves three minutes later, as Sam Salter failed to keep his header down after meeting a cross from Ballou Tabla inside the six-yard box.

A tying goal would never come for Atlético Ottawa, although they had a golden opportunity in stoppage time. After the ball struck the arm of Georges Mukumbilwa, Ollie Bassett stepped up to the penalty spot with a chance to even the match, but skied his effort over the bar. The hosts kept pushing for an elusive goal, but Pacific were able to hang on for a 1-0 victory.

Despite losing, Ottawa maintain a five-point lead atop the table. Pacific FC climbed one spot with the three points, overtaking Forge FC to move into fourth place, behind provincial rivals Vancouver FC.



Atlético Ottawa: Yesli; Twardek, Didic, Singh, de Brienne; Sissoko (Aparicio 46′), Zapater (Torres 79′), Antinoro (Salter 46′); Bassett, Del Campo, Morer (Tabla 70′)

Pacific FC: Gazdov; Mukumbilwa, Quintana, Amedume, Lajeunesse; Lamothe (Greco-Taylor 82′), Young, Toussaint; Bahous (Sellouf 55′), Zanatta (Moore 78′), Yeates (Keshavarz 82′)


45+3′ — Zakaria Bahous (Pacific FC)


26′ — Yellow: Eric Lajeunesse (Pacific FC)
85′ — Yellow: Christian Greco-Taylor (Pacific FC)
90+3′ — Yellow: Rubén del Campo (Atlético Ottawa)
90+4′ — Yellow: Juan Quintana (Pacific FC)